Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The great outdoors

I've been in my apartment since August 2007. Since then I've put a lot of hard work into making it feel like home. I've painted kitchen cabinets, replaced hardware, painted walls and accessorized. (I'll post those pictures some other time)

But one area of my bachelorette pad has been sorely neglected. My outdoor living space.

My balcony is quite large (12' wide x 5'5" deep) and you can beat my view. But it truly doesn't reflect my passion for making each room in my home feel like home. I want comfort, but I want it to look good (of course).


I dream of relaxing out there after work and on weekends in a comfy chair, sipping homemade lemonade, and reading a really great book. I envision sitting out there with a couple of friends on a Saturday night, laughing while enjoying yummy strawberry daiquiri's.

The sipping and laughing could still happen...but you'd have to stand.

So my challenge is to turn it into something fabulous....on a budget.

This is what my balcony currently looks like:


I know, I know....sad.

Here's my wish list:

- something....ANYTHING to cover that ugly concrete. A nice outdoor area rug would be great.
- at least 2 comfy chairs, that look amazing, with colorful throw pillows (made by me)
- a table...big enough to eat on/craft on
- flowers and plants and herbs (oh my!)
- lighting

Articles/websites that I'm hoping will provide inspiration:

Planning a balcony garden - Style at Home magazine
Outdoor Lighting - Wish magazine
Outdoor Living Section - Martha Stewart.com
Balcony Gardens - Dreams Alive magazine
Banish the Balcony Blues - Digs magazine
Let's Take It Outside - Digs magazine


No comments: