Saturday, April 19, 2008

Mabel instead of Meg

I've mentioned before that one of my favorite movies is You've Got Mail. A favorite element in the movie is Kathleen's children's book store The Shop Around the Corner. Its how I always thought a children's book store should look.

(Photo courtesy of Warner Bros.)

Then on a walk for groceries last weekend I passed by this...


- It's a little difficult to see, but there's an Anne of Green Gables display in the window. -


I think I actually had a jaw dropping moment and knew I had to go back.

Thankfully the weather is just amazing this weekend, so I started out on a stroll around my neighborhood and eventually found myself back at Mabel's Fables.

This not-so-tiny bear was sitting out front to greet customers when I got there.

Once I got inside, it was even better than I imagined.


Numbered lamps indicated what books were appropriate for each age group.

A vintage oven sat in one corner along with kid sized aprons (and Curious George).

And I couldn't resist taking a picture of the Harry Potter images on the wall as you headed upstairs.

I managed to leave without buying something for every kid I knew, but I have a feeling I'll be back.

Besides, I didn't get a picture of Mabel herself (she was curled up asleep in her little basket).


No comments: