Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Balcony Makeover - Part 2

So I had a brilliant idea to disguise the 4 balcony panels that run the width of my outdoor space. Though they're painted basic white, and go with everything...what fun is basic white?

The hunt was on for those bamboo beach mats. Ironically, they were easy to find when I wasn't looking for them...but once I was, it seemed impossible.

Then just as I was giving up hope, and trying to come up with another alternative, I walked into my local dollar store, and there they were. Trimmed in pink no less. YES!



I also picked up some bamboo rods....



and some industrial strength tape.

My idea was to use the stakes like a curtain rod and drape the mats over them...and then somehow attach them to each panel.

Voila! Just as I imagined...

Well....sort of.

After my first attempt, 3 of the 4 mats fell within a couple of hours. I added more tape, and came up with another way to anchor the bamboo rods. Then I came home today and one of the mats fell...but I think it was just because of the gusts of wind....so my solution at the moment is MORE TAPE! And maybe super strength velcro.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Now what did I use the two yellow mats for you may be asking?

Well I'll show you tomorrow in part 3.

No comments: